KWARA, Nigeria – The State government says a total of N1.5b has so far been expended on the fight against COVID-19 in the state.
A statement by the spokesman of the governor, Rafiu Ajakaye in Ilorin on Friday, said the amount was expended between April 1st and June 29, 2020.
Ajakaye who doubles as the spokesman of the state COVID-19 technical committee also announced the receipt of N243 million as financial donations from private individuals and corporate bodies between March 27 to date.
“The breakdown of the expenses,” he said, include ” N132,931,570, for running cost of the activities of the technical committee; N713,480,100 for medical supplies and equipment; N525,277,030, for palliative; N149,928,753, for COVID-19 related renovation works; while N47,490,550 went to security, health workers allowances and logistics.
“It is important to add that the government has not spent a kobo from the donations as the funds have not been appropriated by the House of Assembly,” the statement noted.
He, however, explained that “materials including food items donated have been distributed accordingly.”
The statement commended donors generally, and BUA Group in particular for donating three ambulance buses, apart from the N100m donated earlier to assist the state government in the fight against COVID-19.
The government insisted that the opening of the economy does not mean that the battle against the deadly infection was over.
The statement urged citizens to adhere to all safety protocols as the world now appears to be in the middle of the health crisis.