News

Amotekun: National Youth Council begs Buhari govt to rescind declaration

ABUJA, Nigeria – The National Youth Council of Nigeria (NYCN) has appealed to the Federal Government to rescind its declaration that Amotekun is illegal in the overall benefit of the country.

Advertisements

Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami had declared that the Operation Amotekun outfit launched last week by the Southwest governors is illegal.

Operation Amotekun is a new security outfit inaugurated by six states in the South-west on Jan.9.

Mr Bestman Okereafor, the National Public Relations Officer of the All Progressive Congress (APC) Youth Leaders, made the appeal in a statement made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Enugu on Thursday.

He said the security outfit’s structure, which is from the village hunters to other known vigilance group working together in line with the Nigerian Police, presented the best form of community policing.

According to him, this grassroots-oriented and bottom-up structured as well as all-involving security framework, which Amotekun presents, is the ideal policing framework for modern policing to checkmate emerging criminality in rural and remote communities.

“The attention of the NYCN has once again been drawn to the position of the Federal Government as regards Amotekun which is a regional security outfit jointly established by the six South-west governors.

“Information at our disposal reveals that Federal Government’s position was disclosed by the Minister for Justice and Attorney General of the Federation, Mr Abubakar Malami, through his special adviser on media, Dr Umar Gwandu, via a statement issued Jan.14 declaring “AMOTEKUN” as illegal.

“Nigerian youths consider this position as unfair and not in line with the principle of egalitarianism being preached by the present APC-led administration.

“As progressive-minded Nigerian youth leadership, we expect the Federal Government to complement the efforts of the South-west governors rather than an outright rejection and condemnation of the security outfit,’’ he said.

Okereafor, however, called on all South-west residents and Nigerian youths at large to remain calm and be peaceful as ever “even as we await the position of the South-west governors and their consultations with the Federal Government on the matter,’

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: