Fire guts Students lodge in Bauchi, destroys properties

BAUCHI, Nigeria – It was a sad Sunday around the student community of the Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi as an afternoon fire gutted buildings housing some students and journalists at Gwallameji students village.


According to eyewitnesses, the incident started around 1:30pm when the fire started in one of the rooms at Tinubu Lodge before spreading to other rooms.

Reports say occupants and sympathizers tried everything possible to put the fire under control but failed.

One of the occupants of the lodge, a Journalist with the Nations Newspapers, David Adenuga narrated while narrating the incident said he lost everything he owned in the fire.

”It was like a dream, I could not believe that everything in my room has gone, I lost all my belongings to the fire”.

”There was no power supply at that time, we still don’t know the source of the fire. The fire affected nine rooms. It took the efforts of the fire service to put out the fire that already escalated to other blocks”.

Another female victim who was affected by the fire lamented that all her certificates and valuables were burnt to ashes.

”I don’t know where to start, what to do, I don’t have anywhere to go. I’m only left with the clothes on me,” she lamented.

Also, another victim, a Journalist, Saheed Ola, a reporter with News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) said that his gadgets and other valuables went with the fire saying: ”I thank God for my life that it didn’t happen at night. It happened like a joke, many things have gone which I can’t settle to mention right now.”

An eyewitness said that the cooking gas also contributed to the escalation of the fire, saying most of the rooms contained gas cylinders which exploded in the rooms. It took the prompt intervention of the men of the Federal Polytechnic and ATBU fire services to curtail the spread of the fire as no live was lost.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: