AFRICA – A couple’s sexual intercourse nearly ended in tragedy after the woman had an anaphylactic reaction to a medication her husband was taking, which she was exposed to through his semen. According to the case report shortly after they had finished having sex the 46-year-old woman began complaining of dizziness, diarrhea and itchiness on her hands and feet.
The case report’s authors noted that it is the third time that following vaginal intercourse such a reaction has been documented in a medical journal. In the other two cases, the women’s symptoms began less than an hour after intercourse, and both patients had a penicillin allergy. They noted that the cases, while rare, reflect the importance of discussing the hazards of allergic reactions to medications and potential adverse side effects.