USA – A teenager’s mom has shared a disturbing photograph of her daughter in a coma after she almost died from vaping.
Simah Herman, from California in the US, said she was used to taking a hit on her vape pen every 15 minutes.
She vaped for two years, bringing her e-cigarette with her everywhere.
Simah suffered nausea, vomiting and weight loss for several months but didn’t know what was causing it.
“It didn’t seem like [the vaping] was hurting my lungs at all,” she said.
“And I didn’t consider myself a smoker.”
On the morning she was admitted to hospital, the 18-year-old said she woke up and couldn’t breathe.
“I told my dad he needed to take me to the emergency room,” she recalled.
“He was on his way to work and he was about to leave and I said, ‘You cannot go; I’m gonna die’.
Simah’s health rapidly declined and at first, doctors believed she had pneumonia but an X-ray revealed her lungs were inflamed and full of fluid.
Within 48 hours, her lungs had failed.
Simah’s mother, Stacey, was so horrified by what she saw that she decided to film her daughter’s struggle. She posted the videos to Snapchat in hopes that others would learn from it.
“My baby at 18 had worse lungs than people who were dying on ventilators,” she said.
“How did that happen after two years of vaping? It’s not okay.”
The White House announced it would take steps to ban all flavoured vaping products in the wake of 450 people becoming sick after developing vaping-related lung illnesses.
Although Simah has stopped vaping, she said she still feels compelled to pick one up from time to time.