Mom of teen shares hospital image of her daughter on life support after her lungs collapse due to vaping


USA – A teenager’s mom has shared a disturbing photograph of her daughter in a coma after she almost died from vaping.

Simah Herman, from California in the US, said she was used to taking a hit on her vape pen every 15 minutes.

She vaped for two years, bringing her e-cigarette with her everywhere.

Simah suffered nausea, vomiting and weight loss for several months but didn’t know what was causing it.

“It didn’t seem like [the vaping] was hurting my lungs at all,” she said.

“And I didn’t consider myself a smoker.”

On the morning she was admitted to hospital, the 18-year-old said she woke up and couldn’t breathe.

View this post on Instagram

About 2 years ago i started having terrible nausea issues. that turned into being unable to eat, sleep and just live normally. 2 weeks ago i started having trouble breathing. it took 48 hours for my lungs to fail which led to me being put on a ventilator. This is all because of vaping. Vaping is advertised as “a healthier alternative to smoking” which is false. whether it’s nicotine or weed vaping can be fatal. I was lucky. the doctors didn’t think i was going to make it but with prayers from family and friends i pulled through after almost a week on a ventilator. No one thinks this will happen to them and neither did i which is why i kept vaping. It took less than 48 hours for me to be put in a drug induced coma and a tube put down my throat because i could no longer breathe on my own. The dangers of vaping are real and this can happen to you. Please don’t let it. It’s not easy to quit, nicotine is a very addictive chemical but the more you vape the more likely you are to end up where i did. take action and don’t let this happen. please tell your family and friends the dangers of vaping because no one realizes until they’re put in a situation so serious. i’m sharing my story so you don’t have to have your own. get help please and if you need someone to talk to i’m here to help anyone who needs it. Don’t let vaping win. take back your life and quit smoking. it’s just not worth it. @truthorange #bigtobacco #vapecommunity #smokingkills #dangersofvaping #dangersofsmoking #vape #juul (i didn’t end up having pneumonia. the signs of respiratory failure from vaping make it look like pneumonia, if they didn’t find that first i would have died)

A post shared by simah (@simahherman) on

“I told my dad he needed to take me to the emergency room,” she recalled.

“He was on his way to work and he was about to leave and I said, ‘You cannot go; I’m gonna die’.

Simah’s health rapidly declined and at first, doctors believed she had pneumonia but an X-ray revealed her lungs were inflamed and full of fluid.

Within 48 hours, her lungs had failed.

Simah’s mother, Stacey, was so horrified by what she saw that she decided to film her daughter’s struggle. She posted the videos to Snapchat in hopes that others would learn from it.

“My baby at 18 had worse lungs than people who were dying on ventilators,” she said.

“How did that happen after two years of vaping? It’s not okay.”

The White House announced it would take steps to ban all flavoured vaping products in the wake of 450 people becoming sick after developing vaping-related lung illnesses.

Although Simah has stopped vaping, she said she still feels compelled to pick one up from time to time.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: