PRETORIA, South Africa – Several suburbs in Pretoria were left in the dark on Friday evening, due to a fire at the Pyramid substation in Rooiwal.
Tshwane metro said on the municipality’s Facebook page Rooiwal, Vastfontein, Grootvlei and Honingnestkrans areas were affected.
The metro said power to Koedoespoort, Queenswood, Môregloed, Montana Park and Montana Gardens was switched on after the explosion.
Tshwane emergency management service (EMS) spokesperson Charles Mabaso confirmed the fire.
“The transformer fire at the Pyramid substation was reported at 17:59 this evening. A distribution room approximately 30×20 square meters was found totally ablaze with the roof collapsed,” Mabaso said.
“The overheated transformer was leaking oil which was contained to one area.
“An electrical certificate was issued by a city of Tshwane electrician declaring the substation safe for firefighters to extinguish the fire.”
Mabaso said the fire was finally put out.
Emergency teams were cleaning the site.