IBADAN, Nigeria – Equipment for social interaction and networking by teaching and non-teaching staff members at the faculty of education at the University of Ibadan were on Wednesday razed in the resulting fire outbreak in the faculty.
OgeneAfrica gathered that the fire incident occurred around 9.pm on Wednesday during a torrential rainfall.
A source within the university, told DAILY POST that fire fighters battle for several minutes to quench the fire despite the torrential rain.
He said, “Happening Now: UI Faculty of education on fire. Fire fighters battling to quench it despite torrential rains.
“I have given u the tip, ask the UI authorities now.”
However, the management of the institution in it’s reaction, linked the fire incident to a power surge.
The institution said the power surge was further triggered by a cooking gas in the common room.
Director of Communication at the university, Mr. Olatunji Oladejo, while reacting, said, “It is the senior common room in the faculty.
“It is not my work to value it. Teaching equipment were completely razed by the fire.
“Yes, I can confirm to you that there was a fire incident last night.
“However, contrary to the insinuations that the whole faculty was engulfed in fire, it is not true as the incident only affected the common room of the faculty.
“The affected room was completely razed as we couldn’t lay hands on anything after the incident.
“We thank God that no life was lost.”